A firkin was a cask full of good things, so is this room!
Ira Hicks, the builder of the mansion, is remembered for owning the general store and post office at the top of the falls, however few knew that the biggest source of his income was from a firkin factory next to his other stores. A firkin is a cask which resembles a whiskey or wine barrel and for centuries it is what was used to store butter. For over 100 years, Delaware County was one of the leading producers of dairy products for New York City and there was a big “dairy trade” of products being transported from this area to the city. Ira Hicks profited from not only making and selling the barrels, but also from charging a fee to arrange for the transport of the farmers’ butter products in the firkins to New York City.
The masterminds of The Roxbury wanted you to love this large, second-floor room that floods with light in the afternoon, so they decorated like a firkin! Seriously! This super comfortable has a luxurious king-size bed, a large walk-in shower, a separate “firkin barrel” bathtub, dual “firkin barrel” vanities. There are stunning views of the tower cottages with the peaks of the Catskills in the distance. You can knit, chat and make good use of the refreshment station with a dorm-size refrigerator, microwave and coffee machine. This is a double occupancy room that will be shared. If you would like to find a roommate, please check out our Ravelry group.
Retreat Price Includes:
- Kristy Glass and three experienced knitting instructors on hand to answer all your knitting questions for the entire retreat
- Three nights of gloriously amazing accommodation (beware, everyone will want to check out your room)
- Two chock-a-block days of knitting classes, activities, markets and fun
- Fresh, local, farm-to-table catered meals from local chefs for lunch and dinner
- Three continental breakfasts
- Catered bowling party
- Train ride through the Catskill Mountains
- Exclusive shopping throughout the entire retreat
- Saturday night dance and monochromatic party
- Trivia night
- Loads of swag